Tag: 杭州萧山夜生活

uvvgmoli

Vardy symbolising decline of champions Leicester

first_img BURNLEY vs BOURNEMOUTH SWANSEA vs SUNDERLAND 7 a.m.: Chelsea vs West Brom 9:15 a.m.: – Man United vs Tottenham – Southampton vs Middlesbrough 11:30 a.m.: Liverpool vs West Ham Watford vs Everton 10 a.m.: – Arsenal vs Stoke City • Burnley vs Bournemouth – Hull City vs Crystal Palace – Swansea vs Sunderland 12:30 a.m.: • Leicester vs Manchester City There’s a meeting tomorrow between two of the league’s four English managers. What is surprising is that only Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe, rather than Burnley counterpart Sean Dyche, was seriously linked with the England coaching job when it came up twice this year. In their second-ever top-flight campaign, Bournemouth are 10th in the 20-team standings after beating Liverpool last weekend by winning 4-3 from 3-1 down. Burnley, after making an instant return to the Premier League, are 15th. 7:30 a.m.:center_img With only one win in seven games as Swansea manager, Bob Bradley has seen his new team slide to the bottom. The American’s dire introduction to the Premier League was heightened when his disjointed team lost 5-0 at Tottenham last week. Is Bradley’s job already under threat? “You go in every day and at any moment the club can say ‘We need to make a change,'” Bradley said yesterday. “But if you worry about that, the players will spit you out fast. They will see through you. If I am telling the players they have to look adversity in the eye and have some courage, then I have got to do that, too.” Bradley shouldn’t give up hope. He only has to look to Sunderland, the team that was last when he took charge in south Wales and play Swansea tomorrow. Sunderland have hauled themselves to a point from safety by winning three of their last four games under David Moyes. LONDON (AP): After spending last season as one of the key forces behind Leicester’s rise to the Premier League title, Jamie Vardy is now the symbol of the team’s alarming decline. The rough diamond unearthed in non-league football helped power Leicester to their first English title by scoring 24 goals. Defences struggled to contain him as he scored in a record 11 consecutive Premier League games from August to November 2015. Now, the striker can barely get a shot on target and Leicester are struggling because of it. If Vardy fails to score against Manchester City on Saturday, it will be 11 consecutive games without a Premier League goal. And if results go against Leicester, the team could start the game in the relegation zone. The 29-year-old Vardy rejected the chance to join perennial top-four team Arsenal to see if Leicester could build on their fairy-tale season. That has happened in Europe, with Leicester qualifying for the round of 16 in their Champions League debut as group winners. Leicester collected as many points in the six group games as in the 14 Premier League matches so far: 13. Vardy didn’t find the net once in five European games before being rested in Wednesday’s 5-0 loss to FC Porto, which didn’t affect Leicester’s status as group winners but was a high-profile humiliation. Vardy has only contributed two Premier League goals and managed a mere four shots on target in the competition dominated by Leicester so unexpectedly last season. What’s also been noticeable is how Vardy is no longer linking so effectively with Riyad Mahrez – if at all – as the supply line for scoring opportunities has fractured. Unless the symbiotic relationship between Vardy and Mahrez rejuvenates in the second half of the season, Leicester are in real danger of seeing their three-season stay in the Premier League end on the first anniversary of their title triumph in May. “Of course he’s not happy,” Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri said of the central England club’s Thai owner. “No one at the club is.” The one player Leicester couldn’t persuade to stay off season is being sorely missed. N’Golo Kante produced a league-leading 175 tackles and 156 interceptions last season before joining Chelsea. The midfielder would seem to perform the work of two men when he was on the field and without him, Leicester’s defence has seemed easier to break through. Many at the club have publicly attributed the drop in domestic form to the desire to impress on the continent. Now there are no distractions for the next two months before the Champions League knockout phase begins. The visit of Manchester City is a timely reminder about the fate of champions. City were the last team to follow a title triumph with relegation, far back in 1938. City’s current mission is coping for the next four games without Sergio Aguero, with Kelechi Iheanacho replacing the banned striker in the starting lineup. City are fourth in the standings, four points behind Chelsea. Sunday On This Weekendlast_img read more

CONTINUE READING
cpjdgwbe

Only 1 fighter to blame in Golovkin-Alvarez mess

first_imgCarpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew LATEST STORIES Forget the claims by Golden Boy Promotions that Alvarez tested negative in a hair follicle test that isn’t accepted in doping circles. Focus, instead, on Oscar De La Hoya’s claim to TMZ on April 25 that Alvarez would be tested “every day from now until the fight” to make everyone’s suspicions go away.So far, that testing has not happened. And every day that goes by without Alvarez signing up for a drug testing program is another day no one knows whether everything he is taking — or eating — is above board.Martirosyan himself made the point after the fight at the StubHub Center ended with him being counted out after a flurry of blows from Golovkin early in the second round.“Canelo has a lot to prove,” Martirosyan said. “I can see why he’s eating that kind of meat. He needs that extra edge.”Golovkin certainly seems to believe that. He was irate in the days before the fight, saying there was probably only a 10 percent chance he and Alvarez would meet on Sept. 16 as nearly everyone else in boxing assumes they will.There’s too much money at stake, for sure. But there’s also Golovkin’s legacy, one that at the age of 36 he doesn’t have much time left to craft.He believes he was cheated by the judges out of a win in the first fight, one Golovkin seemed to dominate until the late rounds. It ended up a draw, which is the lone blemish on a record that now includes a record-tying 20 consecutive title defenses.He wants to return to the ring quickly, and he wants to knock out Alvarez. But he’s suspicious that Alvarez may have been doing something to bulk up to middleweight for their first fight, and angry that he was caught doping for the second.Some of that anger seemed to melt away after he rediscovered his knockout power against Martisoyan. And he seemed to indicate that he would be good with fighting Alvarez in September should the conditions be right.“Absolutely,” Golovkin said. “I want everyone. I have lots of belts. I challenge anyone to come and take my belts. I don’t care who it is. Let’s clean the division out.” Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Truck driver killed in Davao del Sur road accident Gennady Golovkin poses with his belts after defeating Vanes Martirosyan in a middleweight title boxing match Saturday, May 5, 2018, in Carson, Calif. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)Gennady Golovkin made sure it was a short night, which was not surprising because he was fighting for short money.What was supposed to be a big night in Las Vegas ended up as little more than an exhibition in Carson, California. The $20 million or so Golovkin was going to make to fight Canelo Alvarez turned into $1 million against a last-minute replacement in Vanes Martirosyan.ADVERTISEMENT P16.5-M worth of aid provided for Taal Volcano eruption victims — NDRRMC In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ It wasn’t Triple G’s fault, far from it. Alvarez was the one who tested positive for steroids in Mexico, upending the lucrative middleweight title rematch Golovkin already was training hard for.More importantly, it won’t be Golovkin’s fault if he and Alvarez don’t meet in September.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownFans, of course, want the fight. And there’s a good chance it will happen, no matter the posturing going on in the Triple G camp after Saturday night’s second-round knockout of an ill-prepared Martirosyan.But excuse Golovkin and his handlers if they play a little hardball getting it done. They’ve earned the right. ‘Stop romanticizing Pinoy resilience’center_img MOST READ Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Green group flags ‘overkill’ use of plastic banderitas in Manila Sto. Niño feast Paul, Harden power Rockets over Jazz for 3-1 lead View comments Scientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flames Jo Koy draws ire for cutting through Cebu City traffic with ‘wang-wang’ Contracts will have to be renegotiated, and you can bet promoter Tom Loeffler will be asking more this time for his fighter. And Alvarez will have to somehow try to prove that his protests are real and that he’s not the doper he seems to be.The first part is doable. Alvarez had gotten more favorable terms before because he’s got a proven record of selling pay-per-view, but now he’s going to have to accept parity, or even less. It’s on him that the fight didn’t take place Saturday night in Las Vegas, no matter how much he and his camp claim tainted meat was responsible for his positive test to the steroid Clenbuterol.The second part is more problematic.The six-month drug suspension by Nevada boxing regulators won’t get in the way. It expires in August, leaving Alvarez free to fight Golovkin in a rematch of their controversial draw from last September.But what Golovkin and his handlers want most is assurances that Alvarez is clean. And, at least so far, those haven’t come.ADVERTISEMENT In the end, the rematch with Alvarez is probably too big of a fight — and too big of an opportunity — for Triple G to refuse. Alvarez and his handlers know that, which might be why he hasn’t rushed back into voluntary drug testing just yet.The guess is that Golovkin-Alvarez II will take place on the Las Vegas Strip in September.But if it doesn’t, there will be only one fighter to blame.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextlast_img read more

CONTINUE READING